Transparency in Government Retention of Plaintiffs’ Attorneys
Rep. Mike Kuglitsch (R-New Berlin) and Sen. Glenn Grothman (R-West Bend) have introduced legislation (SB 19/AB27) that provides greater transparency and oversight when the State of Wisconsin hires private plaintiffs’ attorneys on a contingency fee basis.
On Oct. 8, 2013, the Wisconsin Senate passed Assembly Bill 27, which provides transparency when the State of Wisconsin hires private plaintiff attorneys’ on a contingency fee basis. The bill passed on a bipartisan basis, 23-10, and was signed by the Governor as 2013 Wis. Act 105 on Dec. 13, 2013.
- WCJC Applauds Wisconsin Senate for Passing Pro-Business, Transparency Legislation: WCJC, Oct. 8, 2013.
- U.S. Chamber Applauds Passage of Nation’s Strongest Outside Counsel Sunshine Law in Wisconsin: U.S. Chamber Institute for Legal Reform, Oct. 8, 2013.
- ATRA Urges Final Senate Passage of ‘Transparency’ Bill: ATRA, Oct. 8, 2013.
- Excerpt from The Rule of Lawyers by Walter K. Olson discussing tobacco settlement fees awarded to attorneys in Wisconsin.
- WisconsinEye’s video of the March 28, 2013 hearing on AB 27.
- Written Testimony of Bill McCollum, SNR Denton, Submitted on Behalf of the Wisconsin Civil Justice Council and the U.S. Chamber’s Institute for Legal Reform in Support of AB 27/SB 19, Wisconsin Assembly Committee on Judiciary, March 28, 2013.
- Other states have passed similar laws, as described by a Wall Street Journal editorial.
- WCJC Talking Points
- Private attorney sunshine bill heads to governor’s desk: Wisconsin Reporter, Oct. 14, 2013.
- How much is an attorney worth? WI bill caps legal contingency fees: Wisconsin Reporter, May 9, 2013.