Physician’s Duty of Informed Consent in Wisconsin: Overturning Jandre v. Wisconsin Injured Patients and Families Compensation Fund
AB 139/SB 137, authored by Rep. Jim Ott and Sen. Glenn Grothman, overturns a negative Wisconsin Supreme Court decision (Jandre v. Wisconsin Injured Patients and Families Compensation Fund) dealing with a physician’s duty of informed consent.
AB 139 was passed by the Assembly on May 8, 2013 by a 65-31 vote. The Senate Judiciary and Labor Committee concurred as amended (3-2) on Oct. 10. Senate Amendment 1 was adopted and the bill was passed by the Senate on Oct. 15. The bill was signed by the Governor as 2013 Wis. Act 111 on Dec. 13, 2013.
- WCJC Applauds Wisconsin Senate for Passing Medical Liability Reform Bill, WCJC Press Release, Oct. 16, 2013.
- Hospitals Hail Senate Passage of Legislation, Wisconsin Hospital Association Press Release, Oct. 15, 2013.
- Wisconsin Medical Society testimony in support of SB 137, April 11, 2013.
- Wisconsin Hospital Association testimony in support of SB 137, April 11, 2013.
- WCJC’s case brief of the Wisconsin Supreme Court’s Jandre decision