Limiting Double-Dipping in Personal Injury Cases
Rep. André Jacque (R-DePere) and Sen. Glenn Grothman (R-West Bend) introduced SB 13/AB 19, which provides transparency and prevents fraud in lawsuits involving personal injury trusts by creating certain discovery requirements during litigation.
AB 19 was passed by the Assembly on May 8, 2013 by a 58-39 vote. On October 9, 2013 the Senate Judiciary and Labor Committee voted 3-2 to recommend passage of the bill as amended. On Mar. 12, 2014, the Senate passed the bill on a vote of 17-16. The Assembly passed AB 19 on Mar. 20, 2014, becoming the third state to enact asbestos trust fund transparency legislation. On March 27, Gov. Scott Walker signed AB 19 into law as 2013 Wisconsin Act 154.
- Vets favor new state asbestos law, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, July 19, 2014.
- Mary Burke would work to repeal asbestos law to help veterans: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, July 7, 2014.
- Mary Burke says she would repeal asbestos law: Sheboygan Press, July 7, 2014.
- WCJC Thanks the Assembly for Passing Asbestos Trust Fund Transparency Legislation, WCJC Press Release, Mar. 20, 2014.
- Media Reaction to Asbestos Lawsuit Abuse by Trial Attorneys: WCJC Memo to Wisconsin Senate, Mar. 4, 2014.
- Case Sheds Light on the Murky World of Asbestos Litigation, National Public Radio, Feb. 4, 2014
- Court Order Disrupts Asbestos World, but What of the ‘Perjury Pawns’?, The Huffington Post, Feb. 28, 2014
- In re: Garlock Sealing Technologies, LLC, No. 10-31607, W.D. N.C. Bkcy.
- AMVETS Support AB-19/SB 13: Department of Wisconsin, Jan. 28, 2014.
- Judge Finds Fraud and Deceit by Plaintiffs’ Lawyers in Asbestos Cases: Bloomberg Business Week, Jan. 13, 2014.
- The Asbestos Scam, Part 2 (opinion): The New York Times, Jan. 13, 2014.
- The Judge Won’t Call Asbestos-Lawyer Shenanigans Fraud, But It Sure Smells Like It: Forbes, Jan. 11, 2014.
- Embattled Gasket Maker Sues Asbestos Lawyers For Fraud: Forbes, Jan. 10, 2014.
- Judge Slashes Asbestos Liability In Garlock Bankruptcy To $125 Million: Forbes, Jan. 10, 2014.
- Bill protects Wisconsin businesses in asbestos lawsuits (Opinion): Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Dec. 11, 2013.
- Court Order Estimating Aggregate Liability: In Re Garlock Sealing Technologies, Dec. 10, 2013.
- Radio Host Exposes Myths and Mischaracterizations of Asbestos Trust Legislation: Vicki McKenna, Nov. 12, 2013.
- More transparency needed in asbestos lawsuits (Opinion): Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Nov. 12, 2013.
- Veterans Groups Pawns in Wisconsin Asbestos Debate: MediaTrackers.org, Nov. 11, 2013.
- Wisconsin Businesses Support for AB 19/SB 13, Personal Injury Trusts, Oct. 22, 2013.
- Letter to the Editor: Asbestos Bills will Protect Veterans, Wisconsin State Journal, Oct. 22, 2013.
- Letter from Former VFW Commander Larry Kutschma in Support of AB 19/SB 13, Oct. 14, 2013.
- The New Lawsuit Ecosystem: Trends, Targets and Players: U.S. Chamber Institute for Legal Reform, Oct. 2013.
- Explanation of Amendments to AB 19
- Response to Groups Claiming that the Bill Negatively Affects Veterans, April 22, 2013.
- Testimony of Marc Scarcella to the Assembly Judiciary Committee regarding SB13/AB19, April 4, 2013.
- Testimony of Trevor Will to the Assembly Judiciary Committee regarding SB13/AB19, April 4, 2013.
- Bill would put restrictions on asbestos suits: Associated Press, April 4, 2013.
- Video of the April 4, 2013 hearing on AB 19 in the Assembly Committee on Judiciary from WisconsinEye
- A similar law passed in 2012 in Ohio, as discussed in this Wall Street Journal editorial.
- Litigating in the Field of Dreams: Asbestos Cases in Madison County, Illinois: U.S. Chamber Institute for Legal Reform, Oct. 2010.
- WCJC Talking Points
- WCJC Background Memo